Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday post

It is already Friday and it is already the 3rd post of the week. Time flies when you're authoring blogs full time. I feel sort of like Mark Twain, Emily Dickenson, William Faulkner, Dr. Suess or any other great American author of our time.


I recently had a bout of writer's block where I was short on inspiration for my next post. There is the delicate balance of drama, humor and educational material that must enter each post. Then you must intertwine relevant pictures and commentary to complete a masterpiece. So As I Lay Dying* from writer's block it hit me. Where else is better to go for inspiration than William Faulkner's home, Rowan Oak. This place is like Graceland for bookworms and semi professional bloggers.


I know Mr. Faulkner would love to know that I visited for inspiration. He was known around town for being the nicest guy you could meet and loved having unannounced visitors over for afternoon tea. So I grabbed Mama, Dada and Presley and went looking for inspiration.


Presley made himself right and home and made sure he left his mark on Rowan Oaks. Here's a little known fact on the Rowan Oak. William Faulkner created this species of oak trees by planting a mustard seed and standard oak seed in the same hole.


On my way to the front door to see if he was home. No answer today.


Here I am climbing on the roots of the an old Magnolia tree that made its way onto the property.


It was such a nice day, quit cool really. Some would say it felt like a Dry September* while others would say the sun was coming through the trees like a Light in August*.


You might think that's Benjy Compson* with me, but that's just Dada.

We stayed for a quite a while, almost long enough to see The Evening Sun*
I kept thinking this flower was going to produce a Rose for Emily* but it ended up only producing Red Leaves*.


*That part you did not understand...that was a reference to a character or work from Will Faulkner himself, but you knew that didn't you.

No comments: